Thursday, February 2, 2012

Owen's BIRTHday

He's here! (He's technically been here awhile, but better late than never, right?) I realize that probaly noone but my mom cares about this, but I wanted to write it down for memory's sake.

We went in to be induced on December 26th at 9 pm. I was pretty anxious about the whole thing, but ready to not be pregnant anymore. When we got to the hospital, we were told to go to our room and wait because they were dealing with a 'situation'. Not exactly comforting words as we began! We went in and waited for about 45 minutes and finally our nurse came in and said they had everything under control! While we were waiting, someone from the lab came to draw my blood. She asked my birth date and I automatically answered with my mom's! ( They ask 9million times when she goes for treatment.) The girl didn't even question me when I said 1963! Ha! After we had waiting about 45 minutes, our nurse came in and we did all the normal paperwork and 5 million questions. She started my IV, set up all the monitors, and gave me my first dose of Cervadil. It was getting pretty late at the point so she told us to get some rest.

Our night was full of in and outs by our nurse checking things and me asking Ryan tons and tons of questions! Ha! At some point I got another dose of Cervadil. There was also a point when the nurse came in and began messing with the baby's monitor. I, of course, questioned her and she said that the baby's heart rate had been lower for a bit so she wanted to make sure everything was ok. I then, of course, freaked out. It ended up that he was being pretty wiggly so the monitor was picking up my heart rate instead. Needless to say, I was really relieved.


A little after 6 I was finally getting some rest, when it felt like a balloon popped inside of me. My water broke by itself and it was the weirdest feeling ever! At this point Ryan and I are thinking this is going to go super fast.

Boy, were we wrong!

My doctor came in and checked on me about 7 and said that we should start the Pitocin at 8. We ended up starting it about 9. About 10 my nurse came in and said that the anethesologist would be going into a c-section soon so if I wanted an epidural we better get on the list before the surgery started. At that point, my contractions weren't that bad, but I went ahead and agreed. I was so thankful I did! I had mentally prepared myself for contractions to feel like cramps, but I had back labor instead. Contractions got much stronger and closer right before she came. I'm not sure I have ever been more thankful to see someone in my life! As nervous as I was to get the epidural, I do not have a high pain tolerance and wanted meds ASAP!


The epidural wan't near as bad as I thought it would be, and of course Ryan was interested in the learning experience it could provide! Ha!


The rest of the day consisted of not much progress. Our short day was turning into an all day affair. My doctor came in about 4 and said she thought it would be about 5 more hours. Not exactly news I wanted to hear! Luckily, she was wrong and I was ready to start pushing about 7. My poor doctor had an engagement party to attend that night, but came was so sweet to leave her party and come back. I only pushed for 10-15 minutes and sweet Owen was here! Our sweet boy arrived at 7:14 pm and weighed 7.2 ounces on Tuesday, December 27th. Ryan was able to cut the cord and change his first diaper. We then got to spend about an hour with him before they took him back. We also got to let our family and friends that were there come and meet him. It was the most surreal experience of my life! I could not believe he was finally here!

We spent the next few days in the hospital and were released to come home on Thursday. Owen did not get released to come home until about 9 that night because of a mild case of jaundice. After 6 hours under the lights, we finally got to bring our sweet baby home, and life hasn't been the same since!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Beth! He is beautiful! I'm glad things are going well for you!

    ReplyDelete